Sunday, March 15, 2015

Uh Oh, She's On Her Way Home!

As I sit here feeling clean, peaceful, happy and fulfilled, I can’t help but ask myself the question.  Why didn’t I do this earlier? 
This week was Spring Break for our school district and I’ve had the house pretty much to myself all week.  Donna and I took the boys to West Monroe last weekend and came home Sunday, but then Donna went back on Thursday, leaving me the house all to myself for the rest of the week! 
Now, you know as well as I do, leaving a man at home by himself to basically do what he wants is sometimes an un-wise thing to do.  Yes, we don’t wash clothes, we don’t put our dishes away, we make big messes and we don’t clean up after ourselves.  We make meals and don’t clean the dishes.  We get dirty from being outside and we take our clothes off and throw them in the floor.  We track in mud from being in the yard that’s muddy as a swamp from all the rain.  We leave our junk food wrappers on the floor in the TV room and our empty milk glasses on the desk.  We make messes…we’re free!!  Or we think we are anyway. 
Well, as free as I was to create the mess, I was obligated to also clean the mess up.  I made it, I had to clean it.  It was at this point I realized, I should have cleaned up after I made the mess.  That way, I wouldn’t have so much to do prior to everyone getting home. 

That was another problem.  I procrastinated!  Procrastination of cleaning only made the job that much harder to do.  The filth had built up until there was so much to clean that I didn’t know where to start.  So, I started in our room and worked my way into the kitchen. 
I picked up my clothes and put them in the hamper, I folded and hung up the laundry that I had washed earlier, I dusted and I vacuumed throughout the entire house.  Then I went into the kitchen.  I put up all the leftover food, I wiped off the counters and cleaned the stove top, I put all the boxes I had pulled out back into the cabinet and I washed off the dishes and loaded them into the dishwasher.  By the way, I think that’s the dumbest thing to do…why can’t they make a dishwasher that you don’t have to wash the dish prior to loading, but that’s another story for another day. 
After I cleaned the kitchen, I thought about the floors.  I got the broom and dust pan and swept the floor, and then I mopped it.  I looked at the kitchen and thought I was finished and realized I had one more thing to do before I’d be complete.  I had to take out the trash. 
As I sealed the bag and carried it to the can, I realized that I was through with the task of cleaning.  I also realized that it didn’t take me near as long as I thought it would.  However, I was glad I was done.  I could sit down and relax for a little while. 
I don’t think I’ve answered the question of why I felt happy, peaceful and fulfilled.  Here’s why.  I got finished with everything prior to Donna and the boys getting home.  They’ll come home to a nice clean, fresh smelling home.  They wouldn’t have to do one thing, but unload from their trip and relax when they got home.  No cleaning, no washing, no loading the dishwasher, because it was all done.  Knowing that they would be able to relax and spend time with me made me feel good.  It made me happy!  I felt like I had accomplished something that they would be proud of me over.  I felt complete and fulfilled over something that I knew they would be happy about. 
This got me thinking.  I wonder if we treat our sins the same way. 
We all know that Jesus is coming back, we just don’t know when.  We play in the world and fill our lives with stuff that we know He wouldn’t like, hoping that He doesn’t come back and find us kicked back in our easy chairs, while our hearts are filled with dirt that we could have and should have already had cleaned. 
Will He come and find that we’ve left old clothes of deceit lying around, carpet filled with iniquity un-vacuumed, and dishes with remnants of bad habits lying on the cabinets of our heart? 
You know as well as I do, at some point you’re going to have to get the mess cleaned up.  I’ve heard our Pastor say many times, “Jesus can do anything, but He’s not going to everything”.  We have to make up our minds that we don’t want to live in the filth any longer.  We have to be the ones to start the process of cleaning and that first step is asking to be forgiven.   
Just like I felt good about Donna and the boys coming home, when we ask Jesus to forgive us and we let Him clean our hearts, we too can feel good about His returning. 
He is coming.  One day real soon He’ll come to get us.  You ready?  You can be! Don’t Procrastinate!
Just something to think about…

No comments:

Post a Comment