Tuesday, December 13, 2011

SAD or JOY....I'll take JOY please.

Over the last few weeks I’ve heard people say things like, “I wish this season would get over quickly” and “Christmas is getting so expensive”.  I’ve even heard some say, “This time of the year makes me sad” or “During this time of the year I sure miss my ___”  With comments like that you wonder if this really is the most wonderful time of the year. 

However, for most this really is a great time of the year.  They love Christmas and all that it brings.  It gives them time to reflect on the past year, a time to gather with friends and family and celebrate the blessings God has given and a time to share with others who may not be as blessed. 
But for some this time of the year can really be hard.  There’s the grief from the loss of a family member, the lack of funds to cover all the parties and gift giving they’ll feel the need to participate in, the stress of having to create so many meals and bake so many different types of goodies…the list can go on and on and it makes us feel real blah or what some may call the “blues”.   
In my research to write this “thoughts” I found an article by Dr. Angelos Halaris, Psychiatrist with Loyola University Health System.  In this article Dr. Halaris contributes the blues we feel to a disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD.  In this article he says, “This time of the year many people are vulnerable to depression”.  He goes on to say, “the disorder (SAD) is characterized by depression, exhaustion and lack of interest in people and regular activities and it can interfere with a person’s ability to function properly”.  He also mentioned that the mood disorder occurs in the winter months and can be brought on or triggered by the lack of light due to winter’s shorter days. 
Now, I don’t know if I believe that SAD contributes to our “holiday blues” or not, but it makes sense.  However, I don’t want to focus my attention on SAD, it’s depressing. I want to focus on the complete opposite; JOY! 
Instead of allowing the lack of sun light to cause you to go into some sort blah mood, focus on the true Light of the holiday…Jesus.  He’s the whole reason for the season.  Remember what Christmas is all about?  Jesus was born of a virgin, placed in a manger, visited by kings and shepherds and all of this just so you and I could have JOY.   
We all know what JOY is, don’t we?  No, it’s not the feeling you get from getting the toy you wanted.  Nor is it the feeling you get from giving to those you feel are less fortunate.  No, this JOY can only be known from once source and that’s by what Jesus Offers You….JOY! 
The whole point of his birth was to provide you with a gift that would include peace and comfort like you’ve never known.  That gift was something only Jesus could give…the gift of Himself.   John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave…”  It says He gave; it’s up to us to receive what He’s offering. 
This Christmas, don’t let the hustle and the bustle get you down.  Allow the Light of this world to shine in and receive the most precious gift you could ever receive….Jesus Christ.  I promise you won’t regret it.
Just my thoughts on a page this Christmas.

1 comment: