Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Questions Anyone?

Out of all the definitions of the word “develop” I think I like this one the best. It’s from the Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary and it reads, “To move from the original position to one providing more opportunity for effective use”.

Over the last year I’ve looked at trying to become better at things so I could be of better use to others. I’ve read different studies and blogs by well known leaders and authors all in an attempt to become better. Why? First of all, I wanted to become better. I wanted to be a better teacher, a better leader and just an all around better person. Secondly, I wanted to help others in their endeavors to be better. I figured the only way to accomplish that was to better myself.

How do you become better? One way is to ask a lot of questions. Without questions you’ll never get answers. However, with answers come the potential for more questions. Dan Rockwell, Leadership Freak, says, “If you can’t ask questions your people development skills are weak”. That’s true. If you can’t ask questions you won’t have the skills to help others.

What questions do you need to ask? What questions do you want to ask? Ask them! Because the answer you get may be the same answer someone else needs to help solve a dilemma they’re in.

Just my thoughts on a page...

1 comment: