Friday, June 3, 2011

Reflection of you.

Over the last few weeks I’ve had the privilege to put together a presentation for our train the trainer sessions at work. Putting that together has made me realize that we all, whether we want to be or not, are constantly training someone. The question is what are you training that person to be?

During the course of the presentation, I shocked myself with some comments I made and questions I asked. I hadn’t planned on saying it and it wasn’t in my notes…it just came out. I asked a few questions starting with this, “When you train someone, how do you want them to end up? How much do you want them to know and when they leave you what kind of attitude do you want them to have”? The room was quiet. It was like I hit them with a book or something, but I could see the wheels turning in their minds. Then I made this comment, “You see, as a trainer the person you’re training is going to be an exact reflection of you. Their going to have your concerns, your habits, your attitude…they’ll be what you make them”.

Your actions directly affect those that are around you on a daily basis. So, the question is, how do you want them to turn out? One of the mantras’ I have written and posted on the wall above my desk says this, “Others are watching, how do you want to appear”? Everyday I read that and think I’ve got to watch how I speak to people, how I respond when spoken to, where I walk and with whom I walk everyday. I want to be a positive influence on the life of someone I’m connected with daily and if I’m not careful, I could “train” someone the wrong way.
Proverbs 4:10-13 says this, “Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many. I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble. Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.

Training (Instruction), if it’s the right training, will allow you to walk in places without being hindered and when times get busy, run without missing a step. So you've got to make sure that the training you're providing will be the type of training that will allow the person being trained to walk without being hindered and run without stumbling....question is are you providing that type training?

Just my thoughts on a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment